What is coronavirus?
Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by a new virus. Coronaviruses are a large group of viruses that cause diseases in animals and humans. They often circulate among camels, cats, and bats, and can sometimes evolve and infect people.
The viruses can cause mild respiratory infections in humans, such as the common cold, which may lead to severe illnesses, such as pneumonia. There is currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease in 2019 (COVID-19).
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
COVID-19 symptoms can be very mild to severe and include a fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Some people have no symptoms. Symptoms may appear two to 14 days after exposure
More rarely, the disease can be serious and even fatal. Older people, and people with other medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, or heart disease), maybe more vulnerable to becoming severely ill.
People may experience:
- Difficulty breathing (severe cases)
How does COVID-19 spread?
The new coronavirus appears to spread from person to person among those in close contact. It is spread by respiratory droplets when someone infected with the virus coughs or sneezes. It’s unclear exactly how contagious the virus is.
How to protect yourself from coronavirus
Wash your hands frequently –
Washing your hands with soap and water or using hand rubbing dependent on alcohol destroys viruses that can be on your hands. Using a hand sanitizer containing alcohol at least 60 percent.
Maintain social distance –
Put distance between yourself and other people. Social distancing deliberately reduces the physical distance between individuals to prevent transmitting disease. Staying at least six feet away from others diminishes the chances of COVID-19 capture.
Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth –
Hands touch many surfaces and can pick up viruses, keep your hands away from your eyes, nose, and mouth.
Wear a facemask –
Cover mouth and nose with mask and make sure there are no gaps between your face and the mask. Before putting on a mask, clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water. If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.
Can Coronavirus COVID-19 be prevented or treated?
There is no specific medicine to prevent or treat coronavirus disease (COVID-19). People may need supportive care to help them breathe.
If you have mild symptoms, stay at home until you’ve recovered. You can relieve your symptoms if you:
- Rest and sleep
- Keep warm
- Drink plenty of liquids
- Use a room humidifier or take a hot shower to help ease a sore throat and cough
If you have symptoms, you’ve been exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19 or you’ve been diagnosed with COVID-19:
- Stay home from work, school, and public areas if you’re sick unless you’re going to get medical care.
- Avoid taking public transportation if you’re sick.
- Stay isolated in a separate room from family and pets when possible. Wear a mask around other people if you’re ill.
- Avoid sharing dishes, glasses, bedding and other household items if you’re sick.
- Use a separate bathroom from the family if possible.
- Stay home for a period of time and follow your doctor’s recommendations.
- You may need to be treated in the hospital if you’re very ill.